On Monday, Aug 25, 2003, at 10:10 Europe/Rome, Christian Haul wrote:

On 23.Aug.2003 -- 03:48 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 10:17 Europe/Rome, Christian Haul wrote:

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
On Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003, at 22:41 Europe/Rome, Christian Haul wrote:

I'm not suggesting we add AOP to Rhino, I'm suggesting we add the
ability to avoid concern crosscutting in the cocoon flow.

After reading Nicola Ken's message I believe this discussion is void but I still would like to explain my position as it appears it hasn't been clear enough.

I've started using flow very shortly after the javascript incarnation
arrived and I love flow. That is 1+ years using flow. I believed that
adding AOP to Rhino (which happens to be the javascript engine in
Cocoon) is beyond the scope of this project. Now you explained you
don't want to do that but only add it to the invokation of flow
functions. I believe that is a poor solution and does not provide
enough usefulness to solve any of your examples but the authorization
one.

I can hardly disagree more. When you have function interception you have all you need to implement layers of invocation (and some people call those layers "aspects", but I don't). This solves all the issues I previously listed (including, yes, AAA).

However, as I said above, after reading Nicola Ken's mail I believe
this dicussion is void because it appears AOP in javascript is as easy
as saying "aspect". In addition, I believe his proposal for aspects in
the sitemap is balanced and very interesting. We should follow this
idea further.

I think we are talking about two different things here.

One thing is layering flow, another thing is layering pipeline definitions.

If you allow me to remove actions from the picture just one second, you'll see how layering pipeline definitions might allow you to simplify (or ease reuse) of pipeline definition fragments, but you also understand how this is not going to help you on things that touch resource flow rather than resource production.

In a sense, resource views and virtual components already provide pipeline layering.

I would like Nicola to update its RT on aspectizing the sitemap after the introduction of virtual components (which, IMO, solve most of the issues he outlined). What is not covered, IMO, can be implemented by extending the view concept.

Note: I stay away from the name "aspect" because it's a overhyped concept and too blurry to be used as a meaningful terminology because it means different things to anybody.

--
Stefano.