Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> without java and flow, the sitemap is far from being turing complete.

Well ... this is getting off the topic of the thread, but actually I
don't think is true. Maybe you are forgetting that you have recursion
with the cocoon: protcol. With URI matchers and selectors I think this
is all you would need. The request URI would play the role of the tape
of the Turing machine.

> > But some level of validation might still be useful (check
> that pipelines
> > have generators and serializers, etc). But I'm speaking
> hypothetically
> > because I have never done it. :-)
>
> I disagree. XML-schema like validation for the sitemap is just
> misleading because it gives you a false sense of solidity
> that you just
> can't understand from that point of view.

It depends on how much you expect from it of course. I agree it would be
foolish to imagine that a validator could prove that a site map was
totally "solid" in the sense of being logically correct. If you
appreciate that the schema doesn't prove that your web app will work
correctly, a schema could still be quite useful purely as a syntax
checker.

It might be more useful to use a schema to help MAINTAIN validity while
editing a sitemap. There are a few XML editors that will give you
context-sensitive assistance for editing a document based on a schema.
e.g. http://pollo.sourceforge.net/cocoon.html