Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

[...]

Assumed we start development with Cocoon 2.1.* now, would this mean that we will release against the 2.1 branch? It looks like Cocoon 2.2 will really be quite different, so it will probably be hard to upgrade Lenya. Will the 2.1 branch still be supported and maintained in one year?

Yes, I definitly think so - there are many installations of 2.1.x out there that have to be supported. Now, 2.2 will be different from 2.1.x in some aspects but it will be as compatible as possible, which means (in theory at least) switching from 2.1.x to 2.2 should be fairly easy - recompile and that's it. Some internals will change and some deprecated things will go away - so if you're happen to use them, you have to change your code, but again this should be really simple.

OK, this kind of reassures me. My major intention for switching to Cocoon 2.2 were that

- Lenya 1.4 will not depend on an "outdated" Cocoon version when
  it finally is released

- we could benefit from the latest concepts and components

- the Cocoon community might react to our wishes and needs
  and allow us to influence the development (of course this is
  just a random thought)

These issues are certainly not that important if the overall
functionality of Cocoon 2.2 won't be that much different from 2.1.

We want to get rid of using deprecated Cocoon code nevertheless,
so IIUC upgrading to 2.2 will probably be possible later on.

BTW, is there a policy about cross-posting, e.g. to lenya-dev?

Thanks,
-- Andreas