Coincidentally I'm just starting work on a templater too. I have been using JXTemplate
and I really like it, but a few things have frustrated me about it, too.

Perhaps it's unusual, but I really like it BECAUSE it's like XSLT, and I don't mind at
all that it's not like Java. The things I don't like about it are mostly things where
it differs from XSLT:

In order of priority:

1) JXTemplate has jx:macro elements, which are like <xsl:template name="foo">, but
there's no equivalent to <xsl:template match="foo" mode="bar">.

To me, pattern-matching is the thing I need most. I'd like something like:

<template match="[class/name='org.apache.cocoon.foo.Bar']">
        etc.
</template>

2) It has 2 expression languages! So you need to say "#{foo}" instead of "foo".

I think it should have 1 language, but it could be pluggable. My preferred language is
JXPath rather than Jexl, partly because of the specific needs I have in mind
(navigating TMAPI object graphs), for which JXPath is ideal. I also think that Jexl is
too close to Java and hence a bit over-powered. You can call arbitrary Java methods in
JXPath too, but it uses an extension function. I don't know if there are things that
Jexl can do that JXPath can't? I don't think so.

3) Logically it is very similar to XSLT, but it has a different syntax for everything;
forEach instead of for-each, <var set="foo" value="bar"/> instead of <variable
name="foo" select="bar"/>, "macro" instead of "template", etc.

I think the syntax should be same as XSLT much as possible, to aid in learning, and to
help avoid typographical errors.

3) jx:macro elements don't seem to have access to global variables (strange scoping
rules)

4) no jx:attribute

That's my list!

Con