Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

Now with all this deprecated stuff floating around, we should have a centralized deprecation Logger so that users can easily be informed of the deprecated features they use (in the case of Javascript, there's no compiler warning like in Java).

That would make a new log file (e.g. deprecated.log), but IMO that one deserves to exist.

Yes, and we should really try to add *all* "deprecated log messages" there.

And punish those that fail to use it once it's in place ;-)

Where can we put that deprecation logger? What comes to mind is either the Avalon Context, or a component, i.e. lookup(Logger.ROLE + "deprecated").

WDYT?

I think this should be as simple as possible. What about a static accessor, e.g. on the Core object? You might want to use this logger where you don't want to either implement Serviceable nor Contextualizable, so imho it should be easier.

Yeah, I thought about a static accessor also, but I'm fearing some problems with classloading. Well, if any such problem arises, we'll be able to solve it withing the accessor's code.

So let's go for Cocoon.getDeprecationLogger().

Sylvain