this might be useful, it might not be. But personally I'd like to be
able to store the mappings information in something like the
cocoon.xconf in an xml format, it could be the struts/jsf/spring
talking but having the servlet configuration in one place makes sense
(to me, there could be good reasons why it wouldn't).

This could cause problems with reloads and suchlike, but the one clear
advantage I see is that it would help prevent the temptation of
coupling the directory struture to the view controllor logic.

definition/binding/template files also seem to cover the same ground
in different ways. I haven't thought the case through yet or seen
whats going on in 2.2 enough to have even any weak views on this. But
on the surface couldn't all this stuff live in one form.xml file? The
validations to be performed, the ids of the fields, the bindings?

To really go off on one, an efficent way of accessing the binding
object. form.getBinding().getPath() or form.binding.path, so when a
command is executed the target method can be accessed.

var insertCMD = cocoon.parameters.insertCMD:
var deleteCMD = cocoon.parameters.deleteCMD:
var businessObject = cocoon.parameters.businessObj;
var form = ...
var commandExecutor =
var setMethod = form.getBinding().getPath();

var bo = Packages.java.lang.Class.forName(businessObject).newInstance();
and so on.

The idea being that the same java class or flowscript can deal with
the crud actions and make the most of cocoon's binding mechanism.The
actions/commands defined as parameters when the function is called. A
new form and its processing could be a matter of creating a new xml
file (assuming the 3 in 1 isn't complete crack smoking).

Sorry I only meant to write the first paragraph.

Mark