Sylvain Wallez wrote:
Jorg Heymans wrote:

Upayavira wrote:

I can see this being useful for first time cocooners.

What if the cocoon build switches to maven (as rumoured a few times already)? Can the tool be extended to handle this? Will you need seperate logic to handle the 2.2 block configuration?

If it can be done from Ant, it can be done with this tool. All it does is collects properties and delivers them to Ant.

Overall, IMO the potential effort of maintaining such a tool isn't worth the benefit.

Maybe. Which is why I was asking!

The effort to maintain for 2.1 is pretty minimal - it would just be a single XSLT on gump.xml and a few jars in the repo. For 2.2, well, we'll need to see what that is before we can decide!

Well if it's no effort i don't see why it couldn't be added to the next release as an experiment (pending license issues ofcourse). As long as you make sure that the users know it's just a toy-experiment and nothing more there should be no harm.

Actually, will/should Lepido provide anything like this? Any Lepido'ers care to comment?

Sorry for the late answer. The list is very busy lately and me too ;-)

Yes, an installer, or more specifically a "new project wizard", is one the goals of Lepido. However, I may seem overkill for a newcomer that just wants to try out Cocoon to add another huge download to the alreay large Cocoon distro.

So this effort is welcome. The licence problem seems to be a blocker though, since a graphical installer is supposed to make people's life easier, and having to download the installer libraries separately is definitely not easy!

The author has since identified that the LGPL licenced jars are either his own (and can be relicensed) or inessential. So there doesn't seem to be a problem, which is good. (I did find some ant tasks (Roxes) for creating windows shortcuts,etc, which are cool, but they are GPL :-( )

The question is, how deeply would we want to integrate this installer into our release processes, etc. E.g. whenever someone adds a new block, they'll need to rebuild the installer config to take it into account (an XSLT on gump.xml), and all documentation would need to be rewritten to take it into account. Also, a little blurb put into the gump.xml file so that the installer can say "This block does XYZ".

Anyway, I'll take this a little further - first I'll get the code relicensed so I can do a better demo, then I'll work out how to do the gump XSLT, and then I'll demo it.

Regards, Upayavira