Ross Gardler wrote:
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

Linden H van der (MI) wrote:

Reinhard,

Maybe it has already been discussed and then I'm more than happy with a link but if not, can you explain the process of how our documentation gets published (http://cocoon.apache.org)? IIUC, cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/ is our staging area and not the official documentation, right?

AFAIU there is a Daisy-to-Forrest plugin available now or any time soon
that could do the trick.

Yes. There is a prototype in use right now, all this does is include an HTML page from the daisy-wiki in a Forrest site. The next version will have many new features, such as:

- tight integration with the new publishing API in Daisy 1.3M2
- use of the locationmap in Forrest to allow reader URLs and editor URLs to be completely independant - embedding the Daisy edit page within the Forrest site (in a dynamic envronment)
- translation of Daisy navigation documents into Forrest site.xml documents

(incidentally, Forrest has just started working with Lenya to experiment with Lenya as an alternative CMS. I am not advocating Cocoon switch to Lenya, just making you aware that there is an alternative. Development on the Daisy plugin will continue as I need it for my own purposes.)

Another question is the relationship between our generated documentation and the CMS? Are there any guidelines where we draw the

borderline

and the integration process to get one documentation in the end?

Please help out, what generated documentation do you mean? Are you
referring to documentation embedded in Java docs? I.e. API docs?

yes, the usual javadocs, the page generated out of trunk/lib/jars.xml and the pages generated out of the javadocs of sitemap components. Some auto-generated documentation for Cocoon Forms also makes sense or is IMHO the only chance to keep the docs consistent with the code.

The use of Forrest as a publishing engine for your CMS site allows for the seamless integration of autogenerated docs. For example, define a Forrest site.xml with all the requrie links to auto generated docs, such as javadocs, and embed one or more Daisy navigation documents within this site.xml to include the human edited docs.

Additionally we will have to work out how this relates to the cocoon-refdoc project Bertrand is mentoring.

I'm a co-mentor on that project. The reason I volunteered was entirely because of this kind of issue, it is my intention to integrate the outputs of this project into a plugin for Forrest managed sites.

great!!!

--
Reinhard Pötz Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach

                                       web(log): http://www.poetz.cc