Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
Ralph Goers wrote:

My opinion is that a community that releases software that it
won't stand behind has a significant problem.

I think you just mis-interpreted semantics of the 'unstable flag'. See, actual meaning is:

  unstable:
     Supported by the community, many people are working on it,
     expect frequent interface and implementation changes,
     new features and bugs.

  stable:
     Solid code with 3-years-old bugs and patches in bugzilla,
     nobody is working on it, interface and implementation won't
     change for foreseeable future.

  deprecated:
     stable code which stinks.

Once you grog this, you'd get that more often Cocoon releases will lead to greater user community participation, more ideas will float, and active developers move on to other blocks or features (such as OSGi and RealBlocks(tm)) sooner, which will result in abandoning of cforms and marking it as stable...

:-P

Then I think Ralph's employer perception could be altered if we modified how we flag blocks and avoid labelling something as 'unstable' when, in fact, several people use it for their commercial offerings and have done so for a while.

The first version of cocoon was 1.0 not 0.01alpha as it should have been if I looked at how many lines of code and how much of the planned functionality was there.

Perception *is* reality ;-)

And seriously, I'd argue that your -1 on releases actually *delays* maturity of cforms.

I wholeheartly agree with this, we should release now and set a deadline for the next release as soon as we release one and stick to it unless major showstoppers come up.

--
Stefano.