Ralph Goers wrote:

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

Right. Now projects that use Cocoon as a complete solution don't really care about jsr168 and WSRP!

You're joking right? Our plans are to use the portal for generating the site navigation for all our various products since it is perfect for that. The fact that it allows JSR-168 portlets to easily integrate into that mix is a huge plus as we can get portlets from our partners or third party vendors and easily add them to websites.

You got me wrong: I haven't said that we should not care about jsr168 and wsrp, but that people that don't use it should not be asked to take care about deployment issues (ProxyPreserveHost et al) that are specifically related to these features.

So, restating my question as I'd really like to know, what are the use cases that require URL absolutization other than when a coplet/portlet wants to enforce the protocol?

This is because we could avoid absolutizing except when the portlet ask for a particular protocol, i.e. the Boolean parameter in getLinkURI() is not null.

As Carsten said, what you are suggesting can be done, but if it was that easy I'm sure it would have been done that way in the first place :-)

In DefaultLinkService.getInfo() : add a "Boolean secure" parameter and then
 if (secure != null) {
// absolutize using either http or https depending on the value of "secure"
 } else {
   // do not absolutize
 }

Isn't it just what is needed?