Sylvain Wallez <sylvain <at> apache.org> writes:

> > how about closing
> > the users <at> list and having just one list for cocoon-related
> > discussions?
> >
> > So, WDYT?
>
> Two: Cocoon-dev is scary for newbies, or even intermediate users.
> Disruptive random thoughts, design discussions about the very deep guts
> of the engine, etc. Some of my colleague, which I consider advanced
> users sometimes tell me they don't understand what the heck I'm talking
> about in some of my posts. If we want more people to come to Cocoon,
> exposing them to the dev's foolish discussions will just make them turn
> away.

That are exactly my thoughts. We even talked about splitting Cocoon
GetTogether into two tracks for beginners and advanced users, but on the list
we shall merge them together? Furthermore if you talk about prefixing the
threads appropriately to get the threads separated again on the client also
enables the possibility to ignore user threads and just read dev threads
(though it is easier to switch to user threads coincidentally).

> Now you're right that some developers neglect users <at>  (yeah, I'm in this
> category). This used to be because of the huge traffic. In my
> Thunderbird, users <at>  is deep down in the lists I read through
> news.gmane.org. That's a bad thing and I will now use a regular mail
> subscription so that it sits just beside the dev <at>  folder that I monitor
> every 5 minutes. And I strongly invite other devs in the same situation
> as me to do so.

And here we have the real problem you try to solve with your proposal, but IMO
it can not work this way: the bad attitude towards the users list. But such a
thing you can not enforce. It is a community thing.

Though I am one of those persons reading both lists regularly I don't like the
idea of merging the lists.

Jörg