Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
Hi all,

As you certainly know, Ajax and RAD/scripted frameworks are hot lately.

I'm closely following http://www.ajaxian.com/, a blog about all things Ajax. Recently they started talking about continuations [1] and [2], even mentioning our Rhino fork, but without mentioning Cocoon.

I think that, along with pinging the Ajaxian guys (which I will do), we should rewrite our home page to make more apparent Cocoon's unique abilities in the changing world of webapp development.

A distinguishing feature IMO is that the Cocoon platform sits inbetween hardcore J2EE and scripted frameworks: - it is based on Java and thus has access to everything that's available in Java (huge amount of libraries, "enterprise-class" systems such as workflow engines, transaction manager, etc) - it is highly scripted, allowing rapid application prototyping and development, - our script language (contrarily to RoR) is JavaScript, which is widespread and gaining a lot of interest because of Ajax, - it doesn't lock development in scripting: prototype quickly with JS, then, if needed, translate to faster but more verbose Java.

Add a few cool Ajax demos to the mix and this makes Cocoon a sexy and modern development platform.

WDYT?

+1

but keep the silly "web 2.0" buzz low. The world will get sick of ajax as soon as everybody understands that it's refreshing but really nothing new.

Nothing new for sure, but a well hidden secret that very few people used. We can make its use much easier. Also, as I understand it, web 2.0 is more about social network applications (that for sure make use of Ajax to improve usability) rather than tools used and how these tools help developers.

Cocoon uses technologies because they are useful, not because they are 'cool'... the danger of overhyping is that you go up very fast with the hype and you go down as fast.

Agree. Now if you look at my arguments, they are meant to satisfy both the developer that is sick of save/compile/deploy/restart and the manager that wants the J2EE stamp on its IT system. This reflects what Cocoon really is today and how it answers the quest for more simplicity.

Sylvain