Il giorno 30/dic/05, alle ore 16:09, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

I don't understand why you need a ThreadLocal. Isn't a class member good enough?

How would a class member work with multiple threads?

I see. This is because the HttpSource is referenced by the HttpSourceValidity, right? Now the serialization problem shows that it may not the right approach. Hmm.... what about using an common class used both by the source and validity classes to hold the common information?

I was assuming that by "class member" you meant a static class variable. That's where my doubts about multithreading arose.

This works for file: URLs but fails for http: URLs, which was totally unexpected to me and the cause of much frustration.

Weird. Don't we get an exception of some kind on 404?

For a file: source we get a ResourceNotFoundException, but for an http: source we get a ProcessingException that wraps an IOException.

Indeed. My impression is that this work is concentrated it two main locations: the http source for incoming streams, and the pipeline engine for outgoing streams where we must better handle etags and last-modified headers.

Right.

I'm going on vacation in a few minutes, and I don't think I'll be able to contribute much to this discussion or code in the next days, but I'll catch up when I'm back if this thread goes on.

        Happy New Year

                Ugo

--
Ugo Cei