Jorg Heymans wrote:
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

to release. This way the release plugin should work for us as expected
and we don't have to maniupulate any POMs directly. WDOT?

Well, *theoretically* it __should__ yes.

Note that I don't want to sound too negative here, i really hope you can
make the plugin work for you with this release. It is very possible that
my experiments with it a few weeks ago were too demanding or
restrictive. In other words, prove me wrong ;) (and document the process
so we can all do releases afterwards)

Today I've created a reduced version of trunk that only containd the modules I named in the first mail of this thread. Then I've imported them into a local SVN repo.

After that I've been able to run "mvn release:prepare" and "mvn release:perform" without any problems.

I noticed that if you do a bulk release, your modules are tagged hierarchally instead of getting a subdirectory the tags directory for each module.

A bulk release also releases all the "modules only" POMs which isn't necessary most of the time.

I guess that the best way of doing a release is doing it for each module separatly as Jorg suggested. When trying this I had problems with releasing a POM artifact as the "-N" parameter doesn't seem to work here. The only solution that I found was commenting all the modules.

As we've wanted separate release cycles for our blocks for ages, I don't think following the "release a single module"-strategy is a real problem - only the first release takes little more time.

                                      - o -

Here my findings so that we (I) have something to lookup when actually doing the release:

- When doing the release we should release each module separatly.
- When releasing a POM comment all modules.
- When releasing a module that has a parent artifact, check whether an already
  released POM module fits your needs and manually set the version of the
  parent module to this version.

                                      - o -

Two final question: Currently we deploy our released artifacts to scpexe://people.apache.org/x1/www/cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository. Is this the expected location to get our artifacts published to the official Maven repos?

If yes, what's the next step to get our artifacts published by the Maven folks?

--
Reinhard Pötz Independent Consultant, Trainer & (IT)-Coach

                                       web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

___________________________________________________________ Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de