Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
> > What those Belgian guys ?
> > however (in)frequently murmured amongst themselves was: why the ?
> > stupid fixation with SVN as a required content repository for ?
> > official ASF documentation sites? Why can't cocoon.apache.org simply ?
> > be a proxy for http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/ ?
>
> I think it is related to the principles of primary resources;
>  - mailing lists
>  - subversion
>  - ?
>
> which infrastructure works hard to make sure are operational, backed-up,
> fail-over, disaster planning et al. Wiki and other stuff is not considered
> primary, and doesn't enjoy the attention of the infrastructure folks.

Yep. Also the cocoon.zones.apache.org is only an experimental playground.
It is risky to rely on it.

There is a lot of mis-information about the use of SVN and websites.

The docs source content is an asset and needs to be stored.

The generated docs currently need to be in SVN so that
websites can be easily restored by the infrastructure people.

The infrastructure site-dev mailing list tried to find
other solutions to enable any content repository, generate
final docs to staging area, rsync to production.
That has stalled. If someone has the energy, it would be great
to help move that again. Any committer can subscribe.
http://www.apache.org/dev/infra-mail.html

             ---oOo---

Anyway, here is a proposed solution for Cocoon ...

-------------
A) Store docs content in Daisy.
The /2.1/ content is already there and /2.2/ is being developed.
Move the content for the top-level website from xdocs into Daisy
(see http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonWebsiteUpdate).
Move select docs from the current wiki.a.o/cocoon into Daisy.
Remove current wiki and use Daisy instead.

-------------
B) Generate final docs into a staging area on cocoon.zones.a.o

Don't care how this happens. Some straight Daisy docs,
some from Maven, some generated by Forrest (would need
to rsync from forrest.zones.apache.org).

Using CSS we should be able to make it consistent.

-------------
C) Give each committer a local "publish" shell script.
This updates their working copy of the "cocoon/site/" SVN,
then rsyncs generated docs from cocoon.zones.a.o/stage/ and
does 'svn commit'.

D) A cronjob on people.apache.org does 'svn update'
to put the site into production. Already happening.

E) Improve the backup of docs source.

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1925

F) Work with infrastructure site-dev@ find better solutions.