Dev at weitling pisze:
I'm not against processing data, I want to avoid introducing a new
protocol.

I think that we already have such a protocol, are you aware of
xmodule:flow-attr combo?

And functions returning values the classical way (return
myBestStuff;) will reduce readability of the pipeline. For few and/or
small values I'd prefer variables, for many and/or big values one should
think about introduce a generator or transformer weaving the data
directly into the pipeline.

By variables do you mean something like {someVar} construct in sitemap and
someVar can only contain string value?

Giving even void functions a sense: Doing something when a certain point
in a pipeline is reached not directly touching data flowing through the
pipe.

That's what I would be against to. Side effects is the last thing we need in pipelines, IMHO. Personally I would like to see possibility to call function only at the *beginning* of the pipeline and *before* data is even processed. Exactly the same way actions are called today.

The point about implementing generator is valid only if you want to implement something generic enough to call it component (generators are components). Implementing use-it-once components is anti-pattern, IMHO.

Hope this was not even more obfuscating :-)

No, it clears your position a little. :-)

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski