Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
Reinhard Poetz pisze:
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
I'm wondering what the opinion about the future of our cron block is? Do we need such a thing at all? Could we just use the quartz support of Spring?

If we keep it, should we refactor it?

Now, I'm asking this because currently I need a scheduling service in a non Cocoon environment (OSGi based). I thought of just using our cron block but soon found out that there is no separation between api and impl, a lot of Cocoon specific stuff mixed in, dependencies to Avalon directly in the API etc. My feeling is that if we think about keeping
this block, we should clean it up and solve these issues.
What use cases does the cron block handle? I used it long time ago to trigger pipelines. If I can do this from within a Spring without having a
HTTP request, I have no problem to deprecate it.

What do you mean by "without having HTTP request"? Did you have in mind
"without having *external* HTTP request" that must go through servlet
container etc?

Actually, we have plenty of HTTP request in Cocoon 2.2; each servlet: call is
a new, internal HTTP request.

... that means that I can use the SourceResolver in a Spring bean and resolve a servlet URI and this will work properly, won't it?

If yes, this would good enough for me to vote +1 for a the cron block
deprecation.

                                       web(log): http://www.poetz.cc