On Mar 26, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Steven Dolg wrote:
Vadim Gritsenko schrieb:
On Mar 26, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Steven Dolg wrote:

Carsten Ziegeler schrieb:
The pipeline writer needs to know how uri resolving works. He needs to know what input values are allowed, what relative values mean etc.

But I will turn around the questions :) What caching do you need? The ultra complex caching we currently have which can cache partial pipelines? Or just the result of a pipeline?
I believe this is a very important question.

Not really. Partial pipeline caching is implemented completely by the pipeline using all already existing APIs which were used by regular caching. From the perspective of pipeline class users, or from the perspective of classes which pipeline uses, there is no difference between using 'partial-response-caching' and 'complete- response-caching' pipelines. The distinction is only in private implementation details.
I completely agree.
But aren't we the ones talking about those "private implementation details"... And on the other hand: If partial vs. complete caching makes no difference for the user/caller, why bother maintaining both?

It means no difference in the code, but for the user it has a real benefit - user does not have to be an expert in cocoon caching, partial response caching will give him better performance without him expending an effort into optimizing his sitemap.

Vadim