Reinhard P?tz wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Reinhard P?tz wrote:
> >>
> >>Finally this brings me to my last question: Do we want or do we have to
> >>change the name "Corona"? For the legal part of this question, who can I
> >>ask to get a final yes or no?
> >
> >The Apache Incubator docs should have some guidelines
> >about this topic, since this issue often arises there.
> >The Incubator general mail list would have lots of
> >examples of people struggling with this issue, and hence
> >guidance from ASF members.
> >
> >A quick search found these docs:
> >
> >http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#naming
> >
> >See any project's "Status report"
> >http://incubator.apache.org/projects/
> >The first item on their "Incubation work items"
> >is to be sure that the name is okay. e.g.
> >http://incubator.apache.org/projects/sanselan.html
> >The instruction says:
> > "Make sure that the requested project name does not
> > already exist and check www.nameprotect.com to be sure
> > that the name is not already trademarked for an
> > existing software product."
>
> Does the ASF have an account?

I don't know.

This would generally be a good topic to raise on the ASF
legal-discuss mail list. If it was framed in terms of
establishing a well-defined procedure, then it would get
better response.

> >A quick search for "corona software java" shows some
> >high profile software products.
>
> Ok, this means that we have to find a better name.
>
> >First we should define the mission of this subproject.
> >We will need a one-sentence description anyway.
> >Then the appropriate name should fall out.
>
> Corona has two main goals:
>
>  1. Become the best platform for RESTful services and
>     RESTful web applications based on the concept
>     of pipelines.
>
>  2. Provide a generic pipeline Java API with SAX
>     and STaX based default implementations.
>
> >I lean towards "Fibre" or "Silk". However because it
> >might not be the pipeline API that Cocoon uses, then
> >perhaps some other type of fibre. For example,
> >"Kapok" - "a fine fibrous cotton-like substance
> >found surrounding the seeds of a tropical tree".
> >(Australian Oxford English Dictionary). The term
> >"Java Kapok" is used, but from my quick search
> >not in the software industry.
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_pentandra
> >
> >So my proposals are:
> >Apache Cocoon Kapok
> >Apache Cocoon Fibre
>
> I tend towards Apache (Cocoon) Silk because it is short and easily
> pronounceable (in contrast to Fibre) and doesn't sound like Klingon
> (Kapok).

The USA spelling might be better: "Fiber".

> I don't know if we should add "Cocoon" to the name and have no strong
> opinion.

I thought that we needed to, as it is a sub-project
of Apache Cocoon. One of us should clarify that on
the legal-discuss list.

-David