I've been examining the HTMLSerializer so that I can document it on Daisy.

Initially, I was confused about what config options could be used and then it dawned on me that there are actually two different implementations! The default is to use:

 o.a.c.serialization.HTMLSerializer

but there is another one called:

 o.a.c.components.serializers.HTMLSerializer

I'm assuming that this second version is an attempt to move away from depending on Xalan for outputting HTML. I also note that it makes life easier for users by implementing a 'doctype-default' config setting which takes 'strict', 'loose', 'frameset' or 'compatible' as values.

I've perused the developer mail archive and the svn log but not found anything about the background for this second implementation. Could someone just confirm that I'm on the right track. Is the intention to make the second implementation the default at some point? What other advantages does this new version have?

Regards,
David Legg