Reposting, sent from the wrong address.

Hi all,
since Stax is an inversion of the call flow, what we have is an
inversion of the advantages and disadvantages we had with SAX.

I'll try to explain it better. Suppose we have two schemas, one contains
"LONG" elements, with lots of children and stuff inside, the other
contains "SHORT" elements, with just as attribute "id". Now suppose it
is possible to translate from one to the other, for example it could be
that LONG stuff is stored on the database, and SHORT is a placeholder
pointing to LONGs on the database.

Now, we want to write two transformers. One is SHORT to LONG, which will
perform some selects on the database and expand those SHORT into LONG.
The other one stores stuff on the database, and convert LONG to SHORT.

As we all know (the i18n transformer is a good example), in SAX,
transforming from LONG to SHORT is a pain, cause we need to keep the
state between multiple calls. In our example, if the LONG to SHORT
transformer is a SAX based one, we would need to buffer all the LONG
content, then store it on the DB and then emit a single SHORT. That
buffering is our state.

Instead, this kind of transformation is quite easy in a Stax
transformer, cause when we encounter a LONG we can just fetch all the
data we need, and perform everything we need to do in a single method,
without having to preserve the state across different calls. Such a
transformer in Stax could be nearly stateless/threadsafe from an XML
point of view (the database connection would be state, but that's just
for the sake of the example).

However suppose we are doing the SHORT to LONG translation. In this
case, using SAX is by fax simpler than Stax. In fact, when we encounter
a SHORT, we can fetch stuff from the DB and start bombing the next
handler in the pipeline with elements as soon as they arrive from the
DB. Doing it in Stax instead would require us to have a state, cause we
would need to buffer data from the DB, and serve that data to the
subseguent calls from our Stax consumer until the buffer is empty.
Exactly the opposite problem of a SAX pipeline.

So, having the ability to choose which one (SAX or Stax) to use for each
situation would greatly help.

The SAX part of these example is nothing new to Cocoon. We already have
an infrastructure for buffering SAX events when we need to in our
transformers, in extremis even building a DOM out of it (which we could
consider the most versatile and expensive form of buffering). Couldn't
we just provide such a buffering system for those Stax based
transformers (but on the output part instead that on the input part)
when they need it?

This would be an intermediate solution, cause there would be an easy way
to keep the state during Stax calls (as it was for SAX, but the opposite
way around), it would still be a pure Stax based pipeline, buffering
would be limited to the bare minimum required by the transformer, and
could be avoided at all reimplementing the transformer with more complex
state logic if needed for performance reasons.

This is not a solution to the SAX<->Stax cooperation problem, but my two
cents on the "Is implementing a Stax based transformer easier or more
complicated than a Sax one" discussion :)

Simone