I want to draw the attention of the Cocoon PMC to issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON3-19

For the StAX-SAX integration we make use of 5 classes of the StAX-Utils
project (hosted at java.net, BSD-style license). Unfortunately we can't
just depend on the library because some private methods have to be
overridden.
Since the project seems to be in hibernation mode, it is very unlikely
that we get a release that contains the proposed changes.

So we had to pull in 5 classes into our own namespace.
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party explains what has to
be done in this case and I hope that I interpreted it correctly:

 . I kept the original license header
 . I added the StAX-Utils copyright notices to our NOTICE file
 . I added the StAX-Utils license to our LICENSE file

Is this correct?

Apart from the general licensing issue, Andreas pointed out a problem
(see the Jira issue) that 3 of the pulled in files don't have a license
header.
The question is what we have to do now: Shall we add the AL2 license
header or the expected BSD license header to those 3 source files?
Because of point 4 (http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party)
I tend to add the BSD license header to those files.

Any opinions?

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member                  reinh...@apache.org