On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 20:56 +0200, Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 09:30 AM, Steven Dolg wrote:
> > We should take a look at introducing "topic" specific modules.
> > I fear that the optional module turns into a giant clump of all things
> > unrelated.
>
> Generally +1 to topic specific modules. As Steven already knows from
> Indoqa projects, I'm a fan of many small modules ;-)
>
> In regard to the still small C3 community (not in terms of people but
> rather in terms of SVN changes and mailing list activity) we should
> think about having a "Cocoon Stuff" project (analogous to Wicket Stuff)
> where everybody that is interested gets commit rights. This also clearly
> indicates what we as Apache Cocoon community consider being officially
> maintained.
> (BTW, the Wicket community is very restrictive in moving code from
> wicketstuff.org into the wicket-core codebase because of the mentioned
> maintenance reasons).
>
> The wicket folks had a vote between hosting their stuff project either
> at Github or at Apache-Extras (powered by Google Code). Github won and
> the result can be found at http://wicketstuff.org/ and
> https://github.com/wicketstuff/core
>
> But there is also a downside:
>
>   - Cocoon release will become (slightly) more work in the future
>     because two code bases have to be released
>
>   - cocoonstuff.org releases are not ASF releases and we can't
>     rely on the ASF litigation protection mechanisms anymore
>     (which is also true for most opensource software out there)
>
>     (NB: That is the reason why we need 3 +1 votes of PMC members before
>          we can do a release and tag it with the Apache name)
>
>   - that the transition has to be done:
>     * contact the Apache Board about reserving the cocoonstuff.org domain
>     * decide what goes to cocoonstuff.org and what remains at
>       cocoon.apache.org
>     * rename all packages accordingly
>     * create a cocoonstuff-samples module
>     * decide whether we (the Cocoon PMC) want to enforce the AL 2.0 for
>       all cocoonstuff modules
>     * decide about the release voting precedure
>     * setup a cocoonstuff.org website (if we use Github we could also use
>       it for hosting static websites)
>     * find out how to get the Maven artifacts deployed to the
>       central Maven repository
>     * find a solution for continuous integration (Jenkins) and providing
>       snapshot releases (Nexus?)
>
> But IMO there is also an additional benefit: Creating cocoonstuff would
> lower the barrier for contributions and could attract more people to get
> involved with C3.
>
> WDOT?

Actually to lower the barrier for sending patches I really welcome.
While still very new using git I must admit the push concept to send
changes to the rep is very helpful to quickly review/apply patches.

The main concern I have is that it could split the community and that is
the least thing that we want ATM. If we see the cocoonstuff.org like a
project incubator for new components of our project and communication is
here I think it can work.

salu2
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems
<consulting, training and solutions>