Hi Francesco,

2012/11/12 Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>

> Hi all,
> yet another thread asking about Cocoon project vitality [1] was recently
> started.
>
> Besides other things, one of major issues seems to be the lack of a
> stable C3 release (but also missing updates for C2.2).
>
> =================
>
> About C2.2.1, there is an outstanding request by Thorsten [2] asking for
> support on releasing the C2.2.X series.
> This means we could do this with no code effort: we just need someone
> either acting as RM or supporting Thorsten (I guess) as RM.
>
> =================
>
> About C3, we *really* need to provide a stable release in the near
> future: the last official release is still alpha and, even though most
> of us are running latest SNAPSHOTs in production environment, we cannot
> ask this to end-users.
>
> AFAICT, the major outstanding issues that need to be solved before
> attempting to release 3.0.0-beta-1 (and after this a 3.0.0 release) are
> related to:
>
>  * caching: COCOON3-30 / COCOON3-100 - an imperfect solution was
> implemented for COCOON3-61 (which actually needs some additional fixing
> I am going to provide in the next two weeks for a customer) that can be
> applied to COCOON3-100 as well; I'd rather move COCOON3-30 (and other
> caching improvements) to C3 3.0.1
>
>  * problems running >2 C3 webapps in the same container (COCOON3-107):
> together with Javier and Thorsten, during hackaton at latest ApacheCon
> EU 2012, we have probably found a way to fix this but performed no
> implementation yet
>

> We have also other stuff [3] but I'd move any other issue to either
> 3.0.X or 3.1.0.
>
> Finally, we have some outstanding proposals for improving the pipeline
> APIs from Simone [4] and Reinhard [5]: I'd push this anyway to C3 3.1.0.
>

> In addition to the code issues above, we need to improve and finish the
> documentation [6], still plenty of 'TBW' and javadocs (COCOON3-92); I
> would take these as blockers for 3.0.0, but not for 3.0.0-beta-1.
>
> =================
>
> My questions now are:
>
>  1. Would you agree with the above drafted release plan?

Completely agree. +1

>  2. If so, who is available to help with these tasks? Consider that
> documentation tasks are an easier way to contribute to the project even
> without development skills.

I'm happy to see that Cocoon activity is starting to grow again. The
problem on my side is that things get worst in the project I'm working on
and probably I will not have time until January or February. I will try to
answer emails from the email list but I can't take any development
responsibility due my situation.

> If you've been using C3 and appreciate this, please don't deny your
> help: we really need it!

Regards.

Salu2