In order to change the minimum required JDK to 1.4 I modified pom.xml. I was hoping to get rid of all the XML-related dependencies, but obviously this is not so easy.

When dropping the Xerces-dependency I get a bunch of test failures:
- Many of them are caused by tests for DatabaseConfiguration. Here dbunit cannot resolve the DTD in the dataset file. This can be solved by simply removing the reference to the DTD. - The major problem is caused by tests that require advanced validation features, e.g. schema validation. This is not supported by the parser shipped with Java 1.4.

Because of the latter point I think we are forced to keep the Xerces-dependency (with test scope). Unfortunately, this also demands the dependency to XML-APIs - otherwise I get NoClassDefFound errors.

Or is there an alternative?

At least the dependency to Xalan can be dropped. I wonder whether this has some impact on GUMP which has still trouble with building [configuration].

Oliver