> [...]
> take
>  >>  >  > approx 50ms, and the remaining 10 requests will then get their
>  >>  >  > connections.
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  > In the tests I ran last year (!), at least some of the failed tests
>  >>  >  > showed that 10 of the threads timed out, i.e. none of the original
> 10
>  >>  >  > threads had finished. It seems a bit unlikely that this is really an
>  >>  >  > issue with the processing times.
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  > I think this needs closer investigation - I'll try and add some more
>  >>  >  > debug for the failed cases.
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Thanks.  I just completed 1000 runs each using Apple 1.5, 1.6, Sun
>  >>  >  1.6 and JRockit 1.4 (last two on Ubuntu 9.10) with no failures.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Any tests using multiple core systems?
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  >  You are correct that with maxActive = 10, throughput should be
>  >>  >  nearly 10/ms, so 20 should finish in 2ms.  There are three things
>  >>  >  that can dampen the throughput:
>  >>  >
>  >>  >  1) Elapsed time between when a thread invokes sleep(1) and performs
>  >>  >  its next action (which is to return the connection it is holding)
>  >>  >  2) Elapsed time waiting for a waiting thread to respond to notify
>  >>  >  3) There is a trivial amount of code executed by the threads holding
>  >>  >  the connections and of course the pool itself executes some code.
>  >>  >
>  >>  >  What JDK are you using when you see these failures?
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> java version "1.6.0_17"
>  >>  Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04)
>  >>  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
>  >>
>  >>  This is on Windows XP, dual-processor (Centrino).
>  >>
>  >>  There is another bug in the test - it does not wait for all the
>  >>  threads to finish.
>  >>  However, I don't think this affects the result, as the first test is
>  >>  the one that fails, so there can't be any threads at that point.
>  >>  However it could affect the second test, as the same driver and pool
>  >>  is used. The two tests should probably be separate test cases.
>  >>
>  >
>  > When a test fails for me, 10 threads get timeouts.
>  > All the first 10 threads take longer than 100ms to complete and all
>  > take about the same amount of time (within 5ms or so).
>

> There should be 20 threads launched by the test that does not expect
>  timeouts.  So 10 are completing in time and 10 are timing out?

10 complete without any failures, however they all take over 100ms to
complete - e.g. 160ms or 200ms - and so the other 10 threads suffer
timeouts.

>  > This does not seem to be due to cpu starvation, because the timeouts
>  > occur some while before the first 10 threads complete. This suggests
>  > to me that the JVM is not being stalled by garbage collection or
>  > external activities.
>

> I doubt it is either CPU starvation or garbage collection, but it
>  could be clock resolution or thread scheduling.

Looks like it might be thread scheduling.

I've added some System.nanoTime() calls around all the method calls in
the run() method, and so far all the failures occur when
Thread.sleep(1) takes much longer than 1ms.

Normally, this only takes 1-30ms, but every so often the sleep lasts for 100+ms.

Not quite sure how to fix this.
Perhaps increase maxWait() for this particular test? It will need to
be at least 350ms, judging by some of the recent test runs.

The debugging also shows clearly that the threads started by the test
case do not finish before the method completes. In fact in one test,
the test method multipleThreads() finished (and returned the value of
success[0]) before the first thread completed. As it happened, the
first thread failed, but of course the failure was not caught because
the success[0] variable had already been read.

I can fix this by using Thread.join(). This will also guarantee that
the success[0] variable is made visible to the test thread, which at
present is not necessarily the case.