On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Simone Tripodi
<simonetrip...@apache.org> wrote:

> Good morning all guys,
> in the last month I've invested my spare time on redesigning a new
> potential version of the Digester component in Sandbox, according to
> what I proposed time ago on dev ML[1].
> The experiment is complete at 95%, is not of course a release but
> there are enough tests/samples/docs to start playing with it.
> I also sent an email to users ML[2] requesting for feedbacks,
> unfortunately no one expressed his opinion yet, but I'll be patient at
> least for the next 2-3 weeks before pushing a request again.
>
> I'd like to ask also your feedbacks and suggestions, in case you would
> be interested in a potential promotion on Proper, or it should be
> contributed somewhere else like extras, but I hope it will find a
> place in commons.
> As Rahul proposed, since there are APIs breakage, maybe it should be
> taken in consideration as a new component, but at the same time as
> Matt suggested, since it processes inputs in the same way, maybe is
> just a major release.
>
> WDT? What are your thoughts about it? Sorry if it looks like a silly
> question but I've never taken part of a sandbox promotion.
> Looking forward to hear from you, have a nice day!

I've never used the existing [digester] component but having read over
the documentation of the new component/version it looks quite nice to
use.  Not being a user I don't immediately appreciate exactly what the
pain level of upgrading would be (I think I mentioned this before)....
in the event that it is deemed to be large, is there any way to design
a workalike for the [digester] 2.x configuration style?  If not, why
not?

Also, when I was skimming the examples/APIs/code yesterday (my vanity
having triggered my curiosity to see just how my [proxy] 2 work had
influenced you ;)  ) I noticed that the top-level Digester APIs might
benefit from the "auto-casting" return type trick (of which I don't
know the common name, if one exists) whereby the compiler
automatically does the cast for you for assignments, e.g.:

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
public <T> T parse(InputSource input) throws IOException, SAXException {
  .
  .
  .
  return (T) this.root;
}

client code:

Foo foo = digester.parse(...);

which IMO can make things a little easier on users who (think they)
know what type of object they expect.  Arguably you could do it
throughout Digester/Impl wherever you have Object return types; others
might disagree.

$0.02,
Matt