>From the 3.0 javadoc:

"Note that unicode characters greater than 0x7f are as of 3.0, no
longer escaped. "

Not that informative on how to fix it I know. Here's the latest,
unpublished javadoc:

http://people.apache.org/~bayard/commons-lang3-3.0-RC3/site/apidocs/org/apache/commons/lang3/StringEscapeUtils.html#escapeXml%28java.lang.String%29

"Note that unicode characters greater than 0x7f are as of 3.0, no
longer escaped. If you still wish this functionality, you can achieve
it via the following: StringEscapeUtils.ESCAPE_XML.with( new
UnicodeEscaper(Range.between(0x7f, Integer.MAX_VALUE)) );"

So try the following and see if the difference goes away:

    StringEscapeUtils.ESCAPE_XML.with( new
UnicodeEscaper(Range.between(0x7f, Integer.MAX_VALUE)) );

Hen