Gilles,

I do not understand why a non-monotone collection should throw a
IllegalArgumentException...? There is nothing wrong with the argument, it
just is not in corrected order. Wouldn't it be better to return a false?

We have:

            if (!ok && abort) {
                throw new NonMonotonousSequenceException(val[i], previous,
i, dir, strict);
            }

Why throw this? Why not return false and let the code calling this method
decide if it wants to throw an exception?