Hello All,

I have been playing with the non linear optimizers in Commons for a few days
now. The context in which I am working is Probit/Logit/Tobit type limited
dependent variables models. These are well known problems. I found a very
well known example of a probit estimation (
http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/examples/ets/margeff/index.html) , the data
and attempted to fit the probit model. The only technique which generated
'close' answers to the ones in the publication was Marquardt-Levenberg. The
rest of the routines failed in a variety of ways.

That got me to thinking about the tests. While there are tests in Commons,
maybe there should be more. So I began writing a test collar for all of the
methods (I attached it for comments). To my chagrin, the 'easy' problem from
NIST (http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/strd/nls/data/LINKS/DATA/Misra1a.dat)
fails all of the optimizers I tried. Powell gets close on the second
starting point. It is possible I screwed up the derivatives or did something
foolish-since I am new to the commons optimizers. It is hard to verify the
derivatives numerically since they (the objective functions) are designed to
fool numerical derivation.

What are people's thoughts? Before I continue adding tests will-nilly...

Thank you,

-Greg