I don't think we can speak about "standard" practices, but Maven
itself[1] publishes -src and -bin artifacts on the central repo.

+1 on NOT publishing them on central repo, but we should find an
automated way to deploy them on SvnPubSub along the signature and
checksums.

best,
-Simo

[1] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0.5/