On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau
<rmannibu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> answers inline
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/7/28 Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
>
>> Interesting patch. I have some questions and comments:
>>
>> - You'd additionally need to make sure the impl class is non-final, no?
>>

> hmm, good question i didn't check but with asm we can subclass final
> classes, hehe

We can?  How devious... well, then strike my question.

>> - note to others that asm4-shaded is used because asm didn't change
>> packages from v3. Good to see this in use; I hadn't kept track after
>> submitting that patch.  ;-)
>>

> i used asm4 since that's the more up to date and it supports java 7 very
> well. The shade was used since provided in tomee and owb but real asm
> should be fine (see next point)
>

>> - Would you explain the purpose of the AsmFacade class? Much of the "nuts
>> and bolts" work of the patch seems quite different from what I perceive as
>> "typical asm client code."
>>

> i first wrote it with asm imports but a common issue is: do i use asm?
> spring-asm-shade? xbean-asm-shade? so AsmFacade is an utility class to
> allow to use whatever impl is here (almost).

While I find this to be interesting and quite clever, I feel like it's
maybe too much.  For one point, have you tried searching the web for
meaningful examples of ASM code?  It's not that easy IMO.  I think it'd be
nicer for our ASM code to exemplify "normal" ASM as much as possible.  I'd
say it'd be enough to write the basic impl against stock asm4.  If we
wanted we could then provide one artifact that shades asm4, and another
that rewrites the compiled classes to depend on xbean-shaded-asm4, and
surely that would be enough for users to get by with.  Then our code would
be more intelligible as well as useful from the perspective of helping
other devs learn from good examples.

Back to the subject of cglib, do you expect this implementation should
>> significantly outperform it for any reason ( if so, which? ), or is the
>> main motivation that cglib is almost dead as you say?
>>

> since cglib is dead we need something else and i expect the impl to be
> faster than javassist. Another nice side effect is no dep in a container
> providing asm.

I am taking this as still saying, yes, the ASM proxy implementation might
not be any faster than cglib.  ;)  Which is fine.

Thanks!

Matt