On 5 August 2013 22:59, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> WRT https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CSV-42
>
> There is one remaining issue it seems:
>
> "Added an ignoreEncapsulationTrailingCharacters field. This is used to
> either ignore or append characters that are after an encapsulated value.
> Previously an IOException was being thrown here, which I don't think is
> ever a good idea."
>
> Do we want to do anything about this for 1.0? 1.x? Ever?

If characters appear between the encapsulated value and the next
delimiter, the input is clearly broken, and this needs to be signalled
somehow.

Does not have to be IOE, but the default should be to inform the user.

It might perhaps be worth adding an option to provide alternative
behaviour, but I think it will need to be more than just a boolean, as
there are at least 3 options:
- exception
- ignore
- append to parsed value

But I don't think this is needed for 1.0.
To close the main issue, I suggest creating a new one just for this.
But it should be postponed for now.