+1

-Adrian

On 8/25/2013 9:26 AM, James Carman wrote:
AtomicReference?

On Sunday, August 25, 2013, Phil Steitz wrote:

On 8/24/13 11:33 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
Hi all,

regarding a principle design question I would like to get your opinion:

In [configuration] there are a few static utility classes. One of them
is BeanHelper which supports the creation of beans from configuration
data. The actual bean creation is done by a BeanFactory which can be
configured using the static (currently unsynchronized)
setDefaultBeanFactory() method.

Sebb stated correctly that this approach is thread-hostile [1]. An
alternative could be to make BeanHelper a non-static class which can be
instantiated and configured per instance. This would be more flexible
and would also simplify testing of client code (just pass in a mock
object). The drawback is that clients now always would have to create an
instance, so the API becomes slightly more verbose - in fact, most
clients will probably never have the requirement to change the default
bean factory.

So, the question is, what do you prefer? The static approach like
Object myBean = BeanHelper.createBean(...);

or using an instance as in
BeanHelper helper = new BeanHelper(myFactory);
// or use no-args ctor for default factory
Object myBean = helper.createBean(...);
Personally, I would like the static method better as a user.
Synchronizing access to the static factory field would seem to fix
the problem unless I am missing something.  Also, I would not expect
lots of concurrent access to the getter/setter for this field in
normal use cases , so the performance overhead of the sync would be
immaterial.  Having the setter there may also be a little easier for
dependency injection.

Phil
TIA
Oliver