Here's an old thought - but why not centralize the javadoc?

Instead of having components managing their release javadoc, instead make a
central library in which the javadoc sites, then deep link to a components
item within it. Then it's pretty easy to find an old release, pull the
javadoc out and plop them in SVN/file location.

Hen