On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:41:34 -0500, Evan Ward wrote:
On 02/24/2014 01:23 PM, Gilles wrote:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:49:26 -0500, Evan Ward wrote:
One way to improve performance would be to provide pre-allocated space
for the Jacobian and reuse it for each evaluation.

Do you have actual data to back this statement?

I did some tests with the CircleVectorial problem from the test cases.
The Jacobian is 1000x2, and I ran it 1000 times until hotspot stopped
making it run faster. The first column is the current state of the code.
The second column is with one less matrix allocation each problem
evaluation.

       trunk    -1 alloc  %change
lu     0.90 s   0.74      -17%
chol   0.90     0.74      -17%
qr     0.87     0.70      -20%

I also see similar reductions in runtime using 1e6 observations and 3
observations. We could save 3-4 allocations per evaluation, which
extrapolates to 60%-80% in run time.

I would not have expected such a big impact.
How did you set up the benchmark? Actually, it would be a sane starting
point to create a "performance" unit test (see e.g. "FastMathTestPerformance"
in package "o.a.c.m.util").

The
LeastSquaresProblem interface would then be:

void evaluate(RealVector point, RealVector resultResiduals, RealVector
resultJacobian);

I'm interested in hearing your ideas on other approaches to solve this
issue. Or even if this is an issue worth solving.

Not before we can be sure that in-place modification (rather than
reallocation) always provides a performance benefit.

I would like to hear other ideas for improving the performance.

Design-wise, it is quite ugly to modify input parameters. I think that it
could also hurt in the long run, by preventing other ways to improve
performance.

Why couldn't the reuse vs reallocate be delegated to implementations of
the "MultivariateJacobianFunction" interface?
Eventualy, doesn't it boil down to creating "RealVector" and "RealMatrix"
implementations that modify and return "this" rather than create a new
object?

Best Regards,
Gilles

Evan