You should be able to see all the branches with git branch -a. You can
check them out to work on them, e.g. git checkout -b MATH_3_X
remotes/origin/MATH_3_X

How do you want to backport? Are you looking to cherry-pick individual
changes from the master branch back into 3_X? After you've checked out
3_X, you'd cherry-pick the desired changes (git cherry-pick <commit>),
fix merge conflicts, then push your changes (either back to the remote
or to your own fork of the project, when you would then create a pull
request for review).