Le 24/09/2015 21:40, Ole Ersoy a écrit :
> Hi Luc,
>
> I gave this some more thought, and I think I may have tapped out to
> soon, even though you are absolutely right about what an exception does
> in terms bubbling execution to a point where it stops or we handle it.
>
> Suppose we have an Optimizer and an Optimizer observer.  The optimizer
> will emit three different events given in the process of stepping
> through to the max number of iterations it is allotted:
> - SOLUTION_FOUND
> - COULD_NOT_CONVERGE_FOR_REASON_1
> - COULD_NOT_CONVERGE_FOR_REASON_2
> - END (Max iterations reached)
>
> So we have the observer interface:
>
> interface OptimizerObserver {
>
>     success(Solution solution)
>     update(Enum enum, Optimizer optimizer)
>     end(Optimizer optimizer)
> }
>
> So if the Optimizer notifies the observer of `success`, then the
> observer does what it needs to with the results and moves on.  If the
> observer gets an `update` notification, that means that given the
> current [constraints, numbers of iterations, data] the optimizer cannot
> finish.  But the update method receives the optimizer, so it can adapt
> it, and tell it to continue or just trash it and try something
> completely different.  If the `END` event is reached then the Optimizer
> could not finish given the number of allotted iterations.  The Optimizer
> is passed back via the callback interface so the observer could allow
> more iterations if it wants to...perhaps based on some metric indicating
> how close the optimizer is to finding a solution.
>
> What this could do is allow the implementation of the observer to throw
> the exception if 'All is lost!', in which case the Optimizer does not
> need an exception.  Totally understand that this may not work
> everywhere, but it seems like it could work in this case.
>
> WDYT?

With this version, you should also pass the optimizer in case of
success. In most cases, the observer will just ignore it, but in some
cases it may try to solve another problem, or to solve again with
stricter constraints, using the previous solution as the start point
for the more stringent problem. Another case would be to go from a
simple problem to a more difficult problem using some kind of
homotopy.

best regards,
Luc