On 23/02/2016 09:12, sebb wrote:
> On 23 February 2016 at 07:34, Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I'm confused. None of the other PMC members has expressed whether he or she
>> want's the see Chimera/crypto joining Apache Commons, yet we're already
>> discussing how JNI bindings should be handled.
>>
>> I'd like to see:
>> 1) a clear statement whether Chimera/crypto should become part of Apache
>> Commons. Do we need a vote for that?
>
> Yes, of course.
>
> However that decision clearly depends on at least some of the design
> aspects of the code.
> If it were written entirely in C or Fortran, it would not be a
> suitable candidate.
>
>> 2) Discuss a plan on how to do that (I've described a possible plan [1])
>> 3) After that is clear: discuss design details regarding the component.
>
> Some design details impact on the decision.
>
> Indeed even for pure Java code the code quality has a bearing on
> whether Commons would/could want to take it.
> Would we want a large code base with no unit-tests, no build
> mechanism, and no comments?

It depends. I care less about the quality of the code than I do about
the community that comes with it / forms around it. A strong community
can fix code issues. Great code can't save a weak community.

How about creating a new sandbox component, let folks start work and see
how the community develops?

Mark