> On Aug 8, 2016, at 10:40 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Le 8/08/2016 à 16:22, Gilles a écrit :
>
>> There are pro and contra; IMO, saving a few characters is not worth
>> wondering upon reading whether "assertEquals" is from (JUnit) "Assert"
>> or Commons Math "TestUtils".
>
> Seriously, there is little doubt that "assertEquals" comes from JUnit in
> a FooTest class. Everybody is used to that.

Emmanuel has a point here that generally when one comes across
“assertEquals(…);” in an arbitrary test class, one concludes that it stems from
JUnit.

If we were going to indeed require assertEquals to be sufficiently generalized,
then might we consider creating a class “org.apache.commons.math*.Assert” that
extends JUnit’s Assert so that we can simply have one yet retain our math
specific generalizations for assertions? It feels like in doing this we could
reasonably cover both sides of the argument.

Thoughts?

-Rob