Commons is special in that we have many components within the same website,
but update them separately and generally only at release time.

With git you would always need to check out all of the commons site, e.g.
lots of javadoc for each of the components. We might have to fix the site
deploy so it then correctly updates the right subfolder there.

On the other side, adding lots of files is tremendously faster with git. :)

Or are you also proposing to move to a single commons-site project with
buildbot and then add folders there manually rather than with mvn
site:site-deploy?

That could significantly lower the barriers for GitHub contributions to
update the site and also make it easier to update outside a release. But it
would be a bit of work to move everything, and also harder to keep up to
date things like download pages and version numbers.