Le 26/09/2016 à 18:33, Gilles a écrit :

> As I suggested previously on this list, I'm going to request
> a new "git" repository for implementing utilities based on
> random generators.

I suggest waiting until RNG 1.0 is out and we have a clearer view of the
scope of the components. We can still experiment with "rng-tools" on a
separate branch or with a Maven module in the same repository.

> First candidates are:
> * Non-uniform deviates (i.e. the samplers now defined in
>   Commons Math's "o.a.c.math4.distribution" package),

I agree this doesn't belong to commons-rng, but I'm not convinced it
would fit a commons-rng-tools component. Maybe a component more targeted
toward statistic algorithms?

> * Shuffling algorithm (cf. Commons Math's "o.a.c.m.MathArrays"),

This should go in the ArrayUtils class of commons-lang, with a
java.util.Random parameter.

> * Data generation (e.g. random strings, currently defined in
>   Commons Math's "o.a.c.m.random.RandomUtils"),

I'm not familiar with this, it looks linked to the distribution stuff.

> * Syntactic sugar (e.g. strongly-type factory methods, as
>   suggested by Emmanuel during the RC1 vote),

Having two different factories in two different components for the same
objects is odd. I prefer only one factory.

> * Bridge/wrappers (as suggested by Emmanuel in RNG-19, on JIRA).

A mere random generator should be in commons-rng. And the
java.util.Random bridge also belongs to commons-rng in my opinion,
that's similar to the methods converting from/to java.util.Properties in
commons-configuration.

Emmanuel Bourg