Hi Rob,

> I’ve heard of some intent to get the text functionality out of Lang in the
> long
> term future and am thinking about starting to chip away at doing this. It
> seems
> that minimally moving over “org.apache.commons.lang3.text" would be a
> start. Does anyone have any thoughts about what else might migrate from Lang
> into Text?

I haven't looked at all of the code under o.a.c.l.text, but it sounds like a
good plan. We can start with a import of the package, and then refine and check
if everything fits into [text], and if there are no other classes/methods in
[lang] that depend on this package.

There are methods in StringUtils that could be implemented in [text] too. For
example, the Levenshtein edit distance, and the Jaro Wrinkler similarity metric
have been ported over as separate objects (which needs better modeling
actually, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-21)

I think moving o.a.c.l.text and pruning StringUtils a little bit would be a
great start for an initial release of [text], and simplify [lang] a little bit
too.

Cheers
Bruno