On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 10:53:27 +0000, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
I would prefer the source distribution to also be deployed in Maven
Central, as most Maven projects now do through the Apache super pom (but
then called -source-release). This means the Maven distribution for a
particular version should be completely reproducible without having to hunt around the archive.apache.org (which is discouraged for direct downloads)
and have slight variations in paths and filenames.

We have not heard complaints from Sonatype to stop including the source distros - that would affect all Maven-using ASF project - their presence
cause no harm.

When reviewing an RC a -src.tar.gz in the repo also makes it very easy to check that the deployed version matches src dist (barring deliberate fraud) - for the rng RC I had to instead check each of the -sources.jar (which are
not guaranteed to be compilable).

Another matter is the -bin releases (they are just aggregates of jars
already deployed separately) and making sure there are not like .asc.asc extras. In a multi-module build only the top level distros should be made -
most ASF projects manage this in different ways.

This is the opposite of what the "release tools" (I don't which exactly): * they upload every module source and bin packages (+ sigs, checksum and hash)
* they do not upload the "aggregate" distribution

For the latter, I've been told they I have to create specific "assembly"
files and call "mvn assembly:single" but see
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-31

These are tasks common to all releases, it should be dealt with in
commons-parent, even if it implies some additional conventions (not
a problem I guess!).

Since this is discussed now, it would be an opportunity to introduce
the much waited functionalities before release v42:
* create and upload full distribution to Nexus (and make a copy to
  the SVN "dev" directory
* not upload the partial (modules) source and binary archives to Nexus
  (avoid manual deletion)
* ensure that top-level LICENSE and NOTICE files are included in the
  all the modules JAR files