On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:

> Interesting. This means OSGi only provides a way for consumers to say
> which version of an API they want, but not which implementation. This means
> as a consumer you can't say "I want version 1.19 of Compress because I know
> it contains an important fix". This feels more limited in expressiveness
> than I had expected.

Bundles can specify all sorts of Requirements, including implementations,
and bugfix version ranges  (by default, the bugfix component is not
specified in the lower bound, but that is just a default).   It can be a
little too expressive :-)

If a new version becomes available, it can often be swapped in dynamically
(e.g. when using Declarative Services (née Felix SCR)  with Greedy dynamic
reference, an inject  service will be replaced whenever a newer version is
available).

For more on updating and refreshing bundles see:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4330927/how-does-osgi-bundle-update-work

I do feel that it ought to be possible to have  more aggressive updates for
critical (security) release, though  that's a little orthogonal to the
version range issue.