On Oct 15, 2017 16:34, "Gilles" <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 14:45:09 -0500, Matt Sicker wrote:

> Assertion classes are just containers for static methods. Using "import
> static" is the only way in Java to import the individual methods as if the
> class itself were a package. Also, doing this is pretty common when using
> the Assert class as all its methods are prefixed with "assert" anyways.

It's not because something is widespread that it should be emulated.
Is there any good reason to use "import static"?  [Saving the typing
of 7 characters cannot be one of them.]

It can (and does) happen that "assert..." methods are defined
on a per project basis, and nothing is gained when the reader
has to check the top of the file to be sure of what class is
actually used.

My point was just that rather than cleaning up, the commit was
obfuscating (even if so little) the source code.
I prefer the other way around. :-)

I do as well.

Gary

YMMV,