On Jan 11, 2018 7:59 AM, "Gilles" <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 07:49:40 -0600, Matt Benson wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2018 9:22 PM, "Gary Gregory" <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 5:44 PM, Matt Benson <mben...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> As I'm sure you're aware, the planned obsolescence of this approach is its
>> obvious drawback (a similar drawback exists already in the JavaVersion
>> parameter type). I assume this is the reason you said "technical reasons."
>> However, wouldn't it be straight up simple, as well as future proof (if
>> done correctly), to provide a method that tests an int against the
>> available major Java version?
>>

> Hi Matt,
>
> What would that look like?
>

> The usage would look like:
>
> if (SystemUtils.isJavaMajorVersionAtLeast(8)) {
> }
>
> Or, as Gilles suggests, you could simply have SystemUtils.getJavaVersion()

Actually, I suggest to define the functionality inside
"JavaVersion" (and to stop bloating "...Utils" classes
whenever a cleaner alternative can be considered).

Sorry; the part I took from you was the offloading of behavior to the enum.
Your approach e.g. JavaVersion.current() or similar makes sense as well,
but might be confusing due to inertia. Could probably be handled with a
simple deprecation and comment, however.

Matt

Gilles

and have methods from there to test against another JavaVersion instance.