Hi all,

I'm forwarding a conversation I had with Gilles on the project structure for
the new commons-geometry project in order to get feedback on it from everyone.
Basically, Gilles is proposing (and has initially set up) a multi-module
project with the following modules so far:

  *   commons-geometry-bsp
  *   commons-geometry-euclidean-oned
  *   commons-geometry-euclidean-twod
  *   commons-geometry-euclidean-threed

My thought was that this module break up is too fine-grain and would make
development of code that uses more than one dimension more difficult than it
should be. I was initially picturing having a single project for all of the
current geometry code since it's all so closely related and there's not much of
it. However, I can see where Gilles is coming from with the previous experience
on commons-math. So, I'd like to propose an alternative module break up, one
that keeps all of the basic euclidean primitives in one place:

  *   commons-geometry-core -- This would contain the code currently in the
packages
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry
     *   o.a.c.m.partitioning
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.euclidean.oned
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.euclidean.twod
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.euclidean.threed
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.hull
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.twod.hull
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.enclosing (this is the odd-ball in the group here so
I could be convinced to put this elsewhere)
  *   commons-geometry-spherical -- This would contain
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.spherical.oned
     *   o.a.c.m.geometry.spherical.twod

Basically, core would contain the main geometry interfaces (eg, Point, Space,
Vector) as well as all of the basic euclidean functionality. Most users would
only ever need to pull in this module. The other modules would be for other
spaces, such as spherical, and other special-purpose code that we have yet to
develop.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt Juntunen