VFS is open for a big update or rewrite. I and others have proposed a
rewrite using the NIO API from Java 7, though there haven't been any
committed efforts that I've seen.

As for it using Subversion, that's mainly because nobody has migrated it to
Git yet. We've been migrating repos one at a time to Git as people bring
them up. You could propose a lazy vote to migrate, though we'll need a PMC
to do some of that.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>