Thanks for your feedback Mark.

Looking deeper into DBCP for a cleaner solution, it seems we are missing
support for preparing callable statements
in org.apache.commons.dbcp2.cpdsadapter.ConnectionImpl
and org.apache.commons.dbcp2.cpdsadapter.PooledConnectionImpl. I see APIs
implemented for prepareStatement(*) but not prepareCall(*). That's a big
hole for our server. I'll look into filling it now...

Gary